Are you facing the error 502 Bad Gateway? In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about the 502 Bad Gateway error. Read on to know why you see this error and how you can fix it.
- What is The 502 Bad Gateway Error?
- Causes For 502 Error Bad Gateway?
- How To Fix The 502 Bad Gateway Error?
What is The 502 Bad Gateway Error?
The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 502 Bad Gateway error usually comes from the server end and doesn’t have anything do with your computer locally. This error states there has been an inadequate response from the other server. You can see this error on any device, browser and operating system. This error’s page can be modified by every website, in which case you will see a custom error page instead of the default error page above. Some other common server side errors that you see are 504 Gateway Timeout Error, Error 500 internal server error
Different Variations You Might See In The Error
There are different ways in which you might see 502 errors. Let’s have a look at the various messages that you might face due to 502 error.
If you are experiencing a Server Error or 502 error when trying to access a site, it means that you are seeing a 502 Bad Gateway error. This error is also sometimes shown as :
- HTTP Error 502- Bad Gateway
- 502 Proxy Error
- 502 Bad Gateway
- 502 Service Temporarily Overloaded
- HTTP 502
- 502 Bad Gateway NGINX
- Error 502
Impact of Error 502 on SEO of your Website
In the event that this error turns into a continuous one on your site, it will influence the reputation of your webpage for the users as well as for the Search Engines. In the end, it leads to a poor experience for the clients on a clear basis that, nobody needs to manage a site that as often as possible shows errors.
Causes For 502 Error Bad Gateway?
It is an error that you might see because the server was not able to provide a valid response to the request. There are several other reasons that might lead to a 502 error. Here are the most common reasons.
- Origin Server Is not Working
- Domain Name
- Block Request By Firewall
- Failure of the Server
- Error in Browser
Origin Server Is not Working:
One of the reasons you might experience this error is that the server is not working properly. This means the server is not accessible; there can be many explanations for this, like, either the server is down or there is a connectivity problem or there might be a very high amount of traffic on the server.
Another reason for seeing 502 Bad Gateway error is that the domain is not determining the right IP address. This usually occurs due to incorrect DNS records being set at the Domain hosting level. In case you have the correct DNS records set, you also have to keep in mind that changes in DNS can take time to propagate globally. This relies on various factors including time to live or TTL.
Block Request By Firewall:
The firewall is used to block the transmission between the servers. It is another common reason to face the 502 error. There is the possibility that your WordPress security plugins might block the communication between the servers or can even block your local or ISP IP. To rule this out, you can try accessing the site from a different Internet connection. Moreover, few DDOS protection systems are over-sensitive that start blocking the requests from servers.
Failure of the Server:
You might experience a 502 error if the server has completely failed. It can be due to a system crash or sometimes the server is taken offline for maintenance or similar reasons. This can also be because the content of the server might be violating the server provider’s terms and conditions.
Error in Browser:
Sometimes, some browser extensions can also lead to errors regarding while rendering the website, particularly AdBlock extensions. Apart from this there might be rare cases that might cause the error due to the browser version being outdated.
If you are liking our article I am sure you will like our Plans too. We offer the best Managed WordPress Hosting service at a price you can’t resist. Dedicated Servers with plans starting just $16.61 and get FREE SSL, SSD storage, WP Development and Server Support, Daily Malware Scanning & Cleaning, Business Emails etc. You can check out our Plans here.
How To Fix The 502 Bad Gateway Error?
There are numerous things that you can try to resolve this problem. Mostly, the 502 errors are the result of bugs in the PHP or the Server configuration or network error among servers. There is nothing wrong with your computer or your internet connectivity. Nonetheless, in some cases, there might be a problem at your end with the browser or your ISP or local IP might be blocked as mentioned earlier above. With these fixes, you can try and resolve the 502 error.
Common Fixes for 502 Bad Gateway Error (For Users):
- Refresh the webpage: When experiencing a 502 error, there are chances that the server of the website might be overloaded with a higher amount of traffic than it can handle. If this is the case, you can try to remove this error by refreshing the page. By pressing Ctrl + R or F5 on your keyboard, you reload your page. This error means there is a networking error that is beyond your control, so it can be a temporary error while the server is getting the large amount of traffic or the server could be under a DDOS attack. By trying again in some while, you might not see this error.
- Try in Incognito Mode: Another way to fix this error is by starting a new Private or Incognito session in your browser. All you have to do is just close the existing tabs and open a new Private or Incognito window. If you experienced this error because of an issue on your browser, then by starting your browser again in the Private mode should resolve the issue.
- Clear Cache Memory of your Browser: There is a chance that the corrupted files stored on your browser might be causing 502 Bad Gateway error. So, if you clear the cache of your browser, you might resolve this error. Moreover, you should remove the cookies from your browser. It can also help in resolving this error.
- Try Another Browser: You can try to use another browser such as Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. If you don’t see this error when you change your browser, this indicates that the problem was in the browser. You can even reinstall the browser to check if this resolves the problem.
- Check Your DNS: Another solution for this error is by checking your domains’s DNS records. Sometimes the Bad Gateway error is caused by problems associated with DNS records. If you have not changed the DNS records, then you can also check if the IP in the records is set correctly and there is no typo there.
- Restart Your Network Device:
First of all, You need to switch off the power supply of your internet modem. To do this, Unplug your internet modem and hold up for 10 seconds. When its indicators are completely turned off, You need to Plug it again and turn on the power on button and Wait for your computer to establish a connection again.
Common Fixes for 502 Bad Gateway Error (Developers):
If you are a developer or a server manager and you are facing this error, there are chances that you might be facing this error because of other factors. You can try these solutions for eliminating the problem.
- Check your server: You can determine whether your server is reachable or not by conducting a trace-route or ping test on the server IP.
- Check DNS: Another way to resolve this error is by checking if your fully qualified domain name is resolving properly or not, as mentioned above. You can use the DNS test tool for this purpose.
- Clear Local DNS cache: You can also try to clear the DNS cache to see if this issue resolve or not. To do this you need to open your cmd prompt for windows users.
Open the command prompt on your windows pc and type ipconfig / flushdns then press Enter:
- Check Error Logs: You can also check the server or site error logs created on the server to check if there is any particular error being thrown on the server. Using this error you can then try and resolve the issue.If you are a WordPress user you need to add the following codes in your wp-config.php file.
By doing this you will get all the information regarding the errors that have occurred due to any recently added application. And you will get all the causes of the errors which are produced by your website.
- Check Plugins and themes on your WordPress: For WordPress sites, you can temporarily rename the wp-content/plugins folder to rule out any error due to any plugin on the site. In case the issue is not due to the plugins, you can also check for the theme by downloading the default WordPress theme and switching over to that. In case the site loads fine after activating the default theme, then the issue might be due to your theme.
- Check your firewall: It is advised to check the firewall logs for an unusual block. Some times Firewalls also prevent or block sites. To overcome this issue you need to temporarily disable your firewalls and check whether the issue still persists or resolved.
- Disable CDN Temporarily: Another reason could be that the server is being targeted with a DDOS attack. In such cases, you may use services like Fail2ban to try and block the attacking IPs or you use CDN providers like Cloudflare, to mitigate any DDOS attacks on the server.
- Contact your hosting provider: If none of the above-mentioned methods work, you have the last and most important step to take, to contact your hosting service provider for assistance. Like with the best support of WPoven.
Therefore, you should not panic if you see 502 error Bad Gateway. It is an error that is related to a communication problem between the servers. By trying these solutions, you can get rid of this problem. In case this error continues for days, you can record the time and the version of your browser to submit a report to your hosting provider. You can get to know more about http error codes via reading online.
How do I fix Error 502?
You can fix Error 502 by doing the following methods:
- Refresh your browser and reopen it: First, you need to close your current browser and hold up a couple of moments and reopen it. It is because Sometimes your browser may stop responding due to accessing the heavy traffic of data at the same time or maybe an error page is inserted in between the pages which are loading. Even you try on another browser as well.
- Reset Internet configuration: You need to restart your internet modem. to do this, Unplug your internet modem and hold up for 5 seconds, after it completely turns off, Plugs it again and Wait for your computer to establish a connection again.
- Disable CDN temporarily: The Content Delivery Network or commonly known as CDN improves the loading speed of a website but it can generate error 502 as well due to the firewalls. To overcome this issue, you can disable the CDN temporarily.
What does a 502 error mean?
Error 502 is an Html status code that defines The server works as a passage or proxy and got a not valid response from the server. It is classified as a server error. This kind of error shows a communication problem between the two servers. It happens when the user PC interfaces with a server that works as a gateway or as a proxy and that requirements to get to a server that is in a higher hierarchy and that gives extra support.
What causes 502 Bad Gateway Nginx?
A 502 Bad gateway error happens when one web server gets a response that is not valid from another web server. The servers that communicate do not agree on the protocol for exchanging information. This sort of error is normally for a short period of time, so we can later attempt to enter the web once more. More often, the issue is on the website itself, and there’s very little you can do. But, this 502 Bad Gateway Nginx error can happen due to an issue on your PC or your internet hotspot device.
Following are some reasons:
- Browser configuration problem
- Server overloaded
- not correctly configured servers
- Error in communication between two servers
What causes a 502 Bad Gateway error?
Error 502 or commonly known as 502 bad gateway error can also be due to problems at the server-side or Website itself. On account of error 502, It is also possible that Your system or PC configuration doesn’t match with the network standards, which can be assumed if the code shows up when attempting to open any page.
Causes of Error 502
- Errors in PHP programming
- Servers Overloaded
- Browser problems
- Communication problem between two servers
- Server Crash