WordPress is a great content management system for websites and blogs but sometimes there can be some errors. Mostly, they are caused by WordPress plugins or themes. Errors like “briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute” can also be caused by limited server resources as well.
One of the most annoying problems is when the site freezes and, instead of page content, displays briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute error. As a result, the site goes into maintenance mode. Content for visitors is not available at the moment, and as a result, you lose your traffic.
From a technical point of view, this page is not an error, but a message that a certain update is taking place. During the update, WordPress downloads the update archive to your server, unpacks and installs it. The CMS creates a hidden .maintenance file in the root folder of the website. Then it turns the site to maintenance mode, installs updates, deletes the hidden file, and turns back to normal work. If something went wrong, it displays the message with an error.
Usually, the maintenance mode is active for just a few seconds. But in a case of failure or other problems that cause the update to interrupt or install incorrectly, the website is not available for minutes or even hours. This is because WordPress cannot take the site out of maintenance mode.
As long as the required action is not successfully completed, the site will remain in the maintenance mode. And the error will be displayed on the screen. In this article, we will review the possible reasons for the error and the ways to solve the issue.
What causes ‘briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute’ Error
As mentioned above, briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute error takes place during the WordPress update. What kind of update requires maintenance mode?
When you open your WordPress dashboard and go to the Updates page, you will see what components require updates. They include the WordPress core (when you get its new version), plugins, themes, and translations. All these components are vital for correct work of the website and when they are updated, the website goes to maintenance mode.
The same is about the manual upgrade. For example, you would like to add or delete some components. To make the website walk correct for all your visitors, you may want to turn the website into the maintenance mode. In many cases, the webmasters install a special plugin to inform the visitors about the planned works.
What are some reasons when something goes wrong?
- The server responds very slowly due to its failures or slow Internet connection.
- Your web server lacks free memory to perform the script. It can be quite common for cheap hosting plans when you get minimal resources.
- The script was stopped or interrupted.
- During the update, you closed the browser tab. It caused the process interruption.
- You are going to update too many components at the same time. Some process went wrong and caused an issue.
- You are going to install the component incompatible with the current version of WordPress.
How to solve ‘briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute’ error
Solution 1. Delete .maintenance file
In most cases, the error appears when the .maintenance file cannot be deleted by WordPress automatically. The best way to solve the error is to delete this file manually.
Method 1. Via FTP
To access the files in your account, use any FTP client with login and password given by your hosting provider. The most popular FTP client is FileZilla.
- Connect to the server using the login and password. You can find them in the control panel or contact the tech support.
- Find the .maintenance file in the root folder. You may need to click Server — Force showing hidden files to see it.
- Right-click on the file and select Delete.
- Reload the page — everything must work good.
Method 2. Via WPOven File Manager
Using the File Manager you can easily manage your site’s Files and Folders. You can perform the following tasks through the file manager :
- Install WordPress Plugins and Themes
- Create, Edit, Delete, Rename and Move Files and Folders
- Create archives with zip or unzip and decompress files
- Sort Files
- Search Files and Folders
- Upload Files
To access your site’s files and folders through the File Manager tool, you need to first login to the WPOven dashboard. Then select the Site you wish to work on.
Then select the “Tools” sub menu and click on the “Launch File Manager” Button.
Once the WPOven file manager is open :
- Find the .maintenance file in the site’s root folder and click on the checkbox next to the file.
- Now, click on the Delete button at the bottom of the page.
Solution 2. Delete or reinstall the incompatible or unsuccessfully updated components
Another possible way to avoid briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute error is to delete all the incompatible or unsuccessfully updated components. There are three possible ways to do that.
Method 1. Via the WordPress dashboard
You if you still have access to WordPress dashboard, try to use this method as it is the easiest one.
- In the side menu open Plugins or Appearance — Themes, select the specific plugin or theme , whose update caused the error and then Delete it. Please not that, you will have to deactivate the plugin / theme before deleting it.
- Update the page — if everything went well, the website will turn back into regular mode.
Method 2. Via FTP
- Using the FTP manager like FileZilla, connect to the server as mentioned above and open wp-content folder.
- Open plugins or themes folder and delete or rename the folder of the plugin / theme which caused the issue
- Open the website again after clearing the browser and server cache.
Method 3. Via WPOven File Manager
Do the same steps as in the previous method. Instead of FTP app, using the WPOven File manager. It is available in the WPOven dashboard and can be accessed as mentioned above.
It is not difficult to solve briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance check back in a minute error on your WordPress website. We reviewed the possible reasons and ways to solve them. If you have any questions regarding the problem, leave the comments below.