The first step you need to do is after building your WordPress website is to add Google Analytics to it for availing the tracking services. These services include reporting of the traffic to the website, user behavior, and other such metrics. Google Analytics is the popular website tracking tool available on the internet. Even if you don’t intend to sell anything through your website, still it is important to know about your viewers and their behavior.
Why Add Google Analytics To WordPress?
Everyone may have a diverse reason for creating their websites, but the number of visitors to your website matters a lot. Irrespective of the fact whether you have created a personal blog, or an online store, the understanding of your visitors holds utmost importance and Google analytics gives you the same.
Knowing the fact that where the viewers or your WordPress website/blog/online store belong and what are their preferences will help you a lot. You can enhance the content on your website as per their behavior over the website.
The best thing about Google Analytics is its price. It’s’ absolutely free of cost, all you need to do is to implement it on your website and start getting the results. The data that you can derive from Google Analytics include:
- The number of pages, visitors have viewed on your website.
- Your viewers can either be directed to your website from search results from various search engines, some social networking page, any referred website, traffic from your paid marketing campaign, email campaign, or any direct traffic. Google Analytics helps in tracking all these sources of traffic.
- It also helps in tracking the number of visitors view your website.
- It helps in determining the number of visitors who view your website and leave it immediately. The bounce rate metrics in google analytics help you to identify if the traffic is relevant to your content or not.
- The duration an individual has stayed on your website and on which page.
All these data can help you analyze and evaluate the performance of your website and the ways you can increase traffic.
Let’s have a look at the ways you can add Google Analytics to WordPress site but before that, you need to know how to sign up for Google Analytics.
Method to Sign up and Add Google Analytics To WordPress
To Add Google Analytics to WordPress site, you need to sign up with Google Analytics. To do this, you need to create an account for Google Analytics. Visit the Google Analytics sign up page and use your existing Gmail account to sign up for Google Analytics. You can also create a new account for this purpose.
You can also create a business email and signup with it on google analytics.
You can choose from two options for setting up Google Analytics, either for a mobile app or website. Click on the website tab to select it. Enter the rest of the information required like URL to your WordPress site etc. and click on the “Get Tracking ID Button”. Accept the Analytics terms and services after thoroughly reading them and now you are signed up with Google Analytics.
1- Adding Directly With Tracking Code
You can add Google Analytics to WordPress site by following the method explained below.
Note: This method requires some sound expertise and knowledge to implement.
- Copy the tracking code.
- Log in to the WordPress site. In the “Appearance” menu, click on the “Editor”.
- Search for the template file named “header.php” in the list of the templates.
- Search for the tag </head> and paste the previous tracking code before “</head>” tag.
*you can use CTRL + F keys to search for the template file and tag for your convenience.
- “Update File” after you have pasted the code.
- The next step is to go to the place from where you copied the code and refresh the screen. It makes sure that the tracking code is placed properly and data is being received on your account.
2- Adding it with a WordPress Plugin
You can add google analytics to WordPress websites using WordPress Plugins also. These plugins are mostly free plugins but if you wish to use their add-on features, you may need to upgrade your plugin to their premium plans [ Which is mostly not required ]
So, in this section, we shall be talking about 4 Different WordPress plugin that you can use to Add Google Analytics to the WordPress website for monitoring purpose. They are.
- Google Analytics By Mosterinsights.
- Google Analytics By Share This.
- Google Analytics Dashboard for WP (GADWP)
There is a variety of plugins available to add Google Analytics to WordPress website you own, let’s take the example of MonsterInsights Plugin and know the steps to add Google Analytics to your website through this plugin.
- Upload and active the Google Analytics by MonsterInsights plugin.
- Click on the “Analytics” menu and go to the “Settings”
1. Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights
Active Installs : 1+ Million
Rating : 3.9/5
There are two ways to connect the Google Analytics account to the plugin. You can either manually enter the user account code or authenticate it with your Google account. Read on to understand both methods.
Manually Entering the Code
- Check the “manually enter UA code” box and go back to your account.
- Navigate to the main menu and click on the “Admin” link.
- Under the “Property” column, go to the “Property Settings”.
- You will find the code under “Tracking ID”, copy that code and paste it in the field in the plugin.
- Click on the “Save Changes” button.
*You may need to wait for at least 1-2 minutes before it finally starts tracking data for your website.
Authenticate With Your Google Account
The process of adding Google Analytics to your WordPress website is rather simple, you just need to follow the given instructions.
- Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
- Click on “Authenticate with your Google Account”.
- Follow the given instructions and go through the prompts.
The advantage of using this method is that even if you change the template or theme of your website, you won’t have to redo the whole process to add Google Analytics to website. It will stay saved even if you customize or update your theme. However, it comes with one disadvantage that you will have to download a plugin solely for the purpose to add Google Analytics to WordPress site.
Now that you have connected your website with Google analytics, you can safely track the data of your visitors and make use of this extensive feature to increase your viewership and earn more. None of the methods mentioned above pose risk for your WordPress website and they are absolutely safe to follow. However, you may need to have a little bit of knowledge about the coding and other aspects to smoothly connect your website with Google Analytics.
2. Google Analytics By ShareThis
Now let’s take the example of Google Analytics plugin by ShareThis and know the steps to add Google Analytics to your website through this plugin.
- Upload and active the Google Analytics by ShareThis or you can also install google analytics via wordpress.org plugin repository.
- Navigate to Google Analytics in the WordPress sidebar.
- Authenticate via Google, copy and paste the access code and choose your property from the dropdown. You can also add the web property ID from Google Analytics manually but dashboards won’t show up in this case.
- When any of your content takes off you will see the URLs inside the Trending Content section
Active Installs : 700,000+
Rating : 3.2/5
Google Analytics from ShareThis is the plugin to add GA tracking code to your website without modifying any files. You can also disable tracking for the specific users. It allows you to see the analytics reports on the same interface you already use every day to write and manage your posts – in your WordPress dashboard.
3. Google Analytics Dashboard for WP (GADWP)
Another plugin for google analytics is Google Analytics Dashboard for WP (GADWP). The steps to add Google Analytics to your website through this plugin are:
- Upload and activate the Google Analytics Dashboard for WP or you can also install Google Analytics Dashboard for WP via wordpress.org plugin repository.
- Open the plugin configuration page, which is located under Google Analytics menu.
- Open the general settings page, which is located under Google Analytics menu.
- Authorize the plugin to connect to Google Analytics using the Authorize Plugin button.
- Go back to the general settings page, which is located under Google Analytics menu to update/set your settings.
- Go to Google Analytics -> Tracking Code to configure/enable/disable tracking.
Active Installs : 1+ Million
Rating : 4.5/5
This plugin allows you to track your site using the latest Google Analytics tracking code. It also provides in-depth page reports, in-depth posts reports in addition to general google analytics stats which allow further segmentation of your analytics data, providing performance details for each post or page from your website.
4. Google Analytics WD – user-friendly Google Analytics integration plugin
Google Analytics WD is another plugin for Google Analytics for your wordpress site. Let’s see the steps to add Google Analytics to your website through this plugin.
- Upload and activate the plugin using zip file of plugin or install it via wordpress.org plugin repository.
- After installing Google Analytics WD , Goto Analytics menu and click on Authenticate button, clicking on which will open a popup window.
- Now log in to your Google account and copy the given code to corresponding input in the plugin.
Active Installs : 20,000+
Rating : 4.6/5
This plugin adds Google Analytics tracking code to your websites and gives all the necessary options to easily customize your code to best fit your requirements. It allows checking your website Audience, Real-Time statistics, and many more reports. It also allows adding goals to Google Analytics directly from your WordPress site.
5. Google Analytics Dashboard Plugin for WordPress By Analytify
Analytify is yet another plugin for Google Analytics for your WordPress site. The steps to install and configure this plugin are :
- Upload and activate the plugin using the zip file of plugin or install it via wordpress.org plugin repository.
- GoTo Analytify -> Settings page
- Go to “Step 1”, click the “Log in with Google Analytics Account” button
- Connect and give Analytify App access to your Google Analytics account.
- After Authentication, Select your Profiles for front/admin Statistics from Settings-> Profile tab.
Active Installs : 10,000+
Rating : 4.9/5
It is simply everywhere in WordPress (Posts, Pages, Custom Posts). It presents the statistics of Google Analytics in its own Dashboard and that too in a beautiful manner. Its premium version shows Real-Time Stats, Campaign Stats, ShortCodes, Front-end Stats, and more reports in backend and front-end.
Using these plugins, you can add google analytics to wordpress websites and make the most out of it.
How to Make the most out of Google Analytics.
Google analytics is the eye of your website’s growth. If you are using it effectively, you will always have an answer to why your business is failing or getting success. Some of the important metrics that google analytics provide when you add google analytics to WordPress website is also taken into consideration by the Google algorithm to rank your website on top searches. Consider the following metrics at figure tips to make the most out of Google analytics.
- Keep monitoring your organic growth and compare it with the previous period. If the percentage growth shows in reading then probably your rankings are falling for keywords which you were ranking good earlier.
- Always check your bounce rate. If your bounce rate is poor, it gives you a reason that you have irrelevant traffic or some of your content page is loading slow.
- Setup goal tracking. With goal tracking, you can easily judge the conversion funnel that you have created over your website.
- Check traffic source. With google analytics, you can always identify which social media platform or referral websites are working well for you. You can also monitor your email marketing and google ads paid campaign to identify the effectiveness of your paid ads.
- Check when your users are online. With time tracking of visitors, you can record the favorable time during which you have maximum users over your website. It always your to manage your server resources.
- Identify the devices. With google analytics, you can check if desktop, mobile or iPad users are better audiences or not.
- Demographics Study. When you add google analytics to WordPress website, you can easily monitor the age group, gender, location, and many more features like these to identify the website visitors’ persona.
Using Google Analytics, you can work towards growing your website to a rising curve. Add google analytics to WordPress website and start seeing real-time traffic behavior.