Many Google Chrome browser users when they try to open some sites may face the err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error. It usually relates to the outdated security code that is used on this site. In this article, we will tell you what the err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error is. Also, you will learn what are some of the reasons why it appears, and how to fix this error on your PC.
In this article, we will cover everything about the error –
- What is err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error ?
- How to fix err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error?
- How Viruses cause err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error in chrome?
What is err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error ?
To understand what err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error is, you need to specify this error. Moreover, it is important to clarify the conditions when it appears when you try to access the website. A similar error is ssl_error_rx_record_too_long. You can also read more about common errors like error 404 not found, Database Connection error, dns_probe_finished_nxdomain chrome, White screen of death, Connection is not private chrome etc
The error text itself may be interpreted as SSL version error or encryption mismatch, but it happens in the following cases:
- When a user attempts to access a website that uses SSL encryption and secure HTTPS for access and information exchange. In that case, the website addresses always start with https instead of just HTTP. Also, you can see the lock icon on the left side of the address bar.
- err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch may also appear on websites that use SSL certificates with SNI (server name indicator) and ECDSA (public key algorithm for a digital signature creature). The ECDSA can use cheap SSL certificates, thereby causing the described malfunction.
- Some latest SSL certificates components are not supported on earlier operating systems in Internet Explorer and Chrome browsers. We can mention Windows XP which is still quite popular in different countries.
- When the operating system registry is damaged for any reason. For example, the PC was infected by a virus.
- When access to the site is blocked by antivirus.
So, identified what err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch is and what are the causes of the error. Now, let us turn to the options for solving it.
How to fix err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error?
If you need ways to fix err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch, then we recommend doing one of the following things.
- Try to use a non-encrypted version of this site if there is one (the address of such a site begins with the HTTP, not https). In many cases, it can help. However, many modern browsers do not allow the opening of the unprotected website.
- If you are using an outdated operating system such as Windows XP, then we recommend installing a more modern version of the operating system. Ideally, it should be the latest OS with the updates.
- To work with problematic websites, try using the Firefox browser. The latest versions use its own encryption library. The most important, that it opens websites with the described error without any problem.
- Disable the QUIC protocol in Google Chrome browser. In address bar, enter chrome://flags/ . After opening the protocol settings, select Disabled from the top and click the Restart button below.
- Reset Chrome browser settings. Go to the browser settings, chrome://settings/ , click on Additional settings from the bottom, and then click on Reset settings at the bottom. When the browser restarts, try opening the website again.
- Restart the Chrome browser. If the issue still persists, try and uninstall the Chrome browser and restart your computer. For better result, you may even use the special uninstall tools. After that, download and install the latest version of the browser.
- Earlier in some of the older versions of the Chrome browser, there was a temporary solution, in which the user could enter chrome://flags, find the Minimum SSLv3 version support feature and set it to SSLv3. In more recent versions, the developers have developed the feature. Now, users can check whether they are able to fix the issue using this option on their browser.
- Clear the SSL state in the browser settings. Go to Control Panel, select Network and Internet there, click on Browser Properties in it. Choose the Content tab, and click on the Clear SSL button.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus and try to visit the problem site.
- If you are a webmaster of this site, try changing the server settings to use TLS 1.2 instead of RC4. Also, activate TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256. Why is that important not to use RC4? It was deleted the RC4 support in Chrome browser later than 48 version. So, not to lose the visitors, remove it from your website.
- Enable all versions of SSL/TLS
Note. This step includes old, unsafe protocols. If it does not scare you, you can use it at your own risk.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Click on the three dots that you see in the upper right corner.
- Now go to Settings and find the Proxy in the search field.
- You should see the option Open proxy settings, click on it.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Now check all the versions of SSL and TLS.
- Click the Apply button.
- Restart Chrome browser.
Although we offer this as a possible solution, we cannot guarantee that it is safe. Old versions of TLS and especially SSL are known for vulnerabilities. At the moment, you really do not need to connect to anything other than TLS 1.2.
How Viruses cause err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error in chrome?
Malicious software makes changes to the operating system, browsers, registry. It makes the system unstable. Such problems cause the issue when even the popular resources the system recognizes a threat. How is that so? All that is because of the inconsistencies in certificates, SSL-protocols or encryption.
Tip: check the DNS setting on the router — there is little chance that the virus could change the addresses. To scan the system for viruses, use popular antivirus scanners:
- Malwarebytes Free;
- Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit;
- Zemana AntiMalware;
Some tips before you start scanning:
- Disable the antivirus before scanning.
- Check the system with several antivirus scanners.
- Almost all the described applications are free — download them only from the official site.
It is noteworthy that much more often the cause of errors and blocking is not a virus, but an installed antivirus. The application checks incoming traffic and can deny access.
Try to turn it off and go online. If the error has disappeared, go to the antivirus settings in the traffic control section and disable it. Antiviruses can install auxiliary applications and extensions for the browser — disable them, check the processes in the Task Manager.
If you enjoyed our article. We have even more amazing product to offer for you. Get FREE Themes & Plugins, Absolutely FREE Support for your server & WP Development, FREE SSD, SSL, Business Emails, FREE Backups, Malware Scanning & Cleanup. WPOven WordPress Hosting Provides you with the best hosting experience with plans starting with just $16.61. No need to hesitate as we offer 14 Days money-back guarantee.
In this article, we discussed what err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch error is and how to fix it. In most cases, this issue occurs within the Google Chrome browser, signalling problems with some websites certificate security. The easiest and most effective tool for getting rid of this error is using the Firefox browser when working with the sites on which this error occurs. If this option does not suit you, then we recommend trying the listed solutions. One of them must definitely help.